During the summer of 2013, Engineers and Technicians from Infrastruct AMS Limited carried out structural testing and material investigations on 14 bridges in Counties Galway, Laois and Kilkenny for the National Roads Authority under their Eirspan bridge management programme. The bridges were mainly single span reinforced concrete bridges (extensions) spanning over the national roads network.
Partnering with a well-known contracting firm, our technical teams carried out various types of concrete testing and investigations on the bridges including:
- Covermeter surveys to determine the depth and layout of steel reinforcement;
- Half-cell potential surveys to classify the risk of reinforcement corrosion;
- Rebound Hammer surveys for concrete quality assessment;
- Carbonation depth measurements;
- Localised concrete breakouts to examine the condition embedded reinforcement;
- Concrete sampling to establish the risk of chemical attack in the concrete;
- Pull-Off testing to establish the suitability of deck concrete for waterproofing systems;
- Dimensional surveys.
A Structural Investigation Report including scaled drawings was prepared for each bridge.